As a database engineer, you will be a member of the Database Engineering Team, which is part of the Production Operations team. Your primary focus will be to manage the group’s PostgreSQL database systems, which consist of a mix of physical and virtual database platforms. You will also participate in the design, documentation, implementation, and maintenance of these platforms. Being a responsible, organized person, and having excellent oral and written communication skills, you will also be responsible for creating documentation and, where applicable, assisting junior members of the team. You will need to possess a good level of technical skill and embrace cutting-edge technology stacks. In addition, will also be responsible for delivering operational excellence, meet project commitments, and have a collaborative approach to problem-solving. Automation mentality is a must. If this describes you and you are passionate about what you do and thrive in a challenging, high-growth, and dynamic environment, please read on.
What you’ll be doing
● Ensure the uptime of the company’s database systems.
● Work within a cost-optimized framework.
● Automate processes using a mix of industry-standard tools such as SQL, PowerShell, Ansible, etc.
● Monitor database platforms for various parameters and optimize/rectify as appropriate.
● Monitor and maintain the company’s database backups, high availability, and disaster recovery frameworks.
● Stay abreast of current and emerging database technologies and best practices, making recommendations as necessary.
● Act as technical escalation person for operational staff to assist in resolving problems and incidents.
● Keep up-to-date documentation.
● Participate in an on-call 24/7 support rotation.
Having some of the following will be considered an asset:
● Be cool to work with
● Be motivated to learn and understand the business so as to provide value.
● Very good analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to work with tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
● Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
● 2 years of experience in a similar role.
● Strong grasp and experience in RDBMS technology.
● Strong knowledge of SQL language, stored procedures, and query optimization.
● Familiarity with other DMBS systems such as Microsoft SQL Server and MariaDB.
● Hold technical certifications for some of the above-mentioned technologies.
● Infrastructure-as-Code (IAC) Mentality.
● Knowledge of Software Development life cycle.
● Knowledge and understanding of disaster recovery and high availability setups.