Product Owner - Data Engineering
Product Owner – Data Engineering
The Product Owner forms part of a team that is responsible for the product management of the data platform. The Data Product Team works hand in hand with the Data Engineering Team, which consists of several teams responsible for; pipelining data (Big Data Engineering team), development of business intelligence for any interaction with insights generated from the team (Big Data BI team), any deep dive into data to optimise the business or predict what is coming ahead (Data Science and Analytics team) and automation testing for any application in the data platform (Automation QA team). All these teams work together and are supported by the Operations and Support team having a mixture of Scrum and Kanban agile development.
The data platform has several different data sources consisting of player activity, payments, compliance data, aquisition metrics, website behaviour data, wallet changes. These datasets are ingested and presented to the business users via Business Intelligence for interpretations of the brands health. Good understanding of the business is necessary to help the stakeholders get the most out of the data platform and help them excel in their day to day job.
Some examples of products that are developed by the team are Business Intelligence tools and interactive dashboards, customer segmentation to help player aquisition and retention, fraud detection, bonus abuse and so on. A fundamental of the product owner’s role is to manage expectations and understand the daily job of the stakeholder in question, and to help form requirements that are achieveable by the team.
What you’ll be doing
- Owning and managing the Team’s backlog and sprints, ensuring that rich requirements
have been gathered and initiatives are broken down into manageable tasks/stories and
achievable milestones by the team
- Leading the scrum process and ensuring that the team adheres to:
- Daily standups and proper time management
- Weekly grooming/refinement sessions
- Sprint planning with team technical lead
- Sprint retrospectives to understand what needs to improve as an iterative approach
- Owning and managing the Support & Operations Team’s Kanban Board, ensuring that
the Team works on the right priorities through daily standups. This can be related with
projects tied with this team, infrastructure tasks, access request for the BI tools or data
- Liaise with Data Platform Product Manager and technical team lead to come up with
proper agile process and swim lanes that work for the scope of the team
- Ensuring that all tickets raised have clear and unambiguous requirements and
acceptance criteria, while agreeing with the Team on an accurate definition of done
- Encouraging stakeholder engagement in the gathering of requirements to ensure that
the Product is what the Business requires
- Managing stakeholders’ expectations with regards to deliverables
- Maintaining a ratio of the Teams’ efforts between new initiatives / legacy development /
technical debt as agreed with the Data Product Manager, Director of Data Platform, and
respective Team Lead
- Managing priorities from stakeholders in line with the Data Platform vision and strategic
roadmap while adhering to the above ratios
- Liaising with the Data Engineering Team Project Manager with regards to timelines, milestones, deliverables, risks, and blockers
- Liaising with other product owners across GiG to deliver and acquire cross-vertical deliverables
- Supporting the Data Platform Product Manager in defining the vision and strategic roadmap for the respective Products, and ensuring that this is delivered in a timely manner
- Ensuring that the Teams’ priorities are in line with the Data Platform vision and strategic roadmap, and in line with the overall priorities as set by the Director of Product for GiG
- Identifying problems in the Business that need to be resolved, in order to develop a Product that will add value and reduce risk, ultimately helping GiG have an edge over competition to boost our business
- Deep understanding of the role of the Big Data platform in order to be able to channel requests efficiently and deal with stakeholders easily.
- Being fluent in the technologies adopted by the Data Engineering Team (in usability not coding) to be able to provide guidance to stakeholders while providing comprehensive requirements to the Team, ensuring faster and more accurate deliverables
- Acquiring knowledge in the business and operational areas served by the Team in order to serve stakeholders better; e.g. CRM, Compliance, Marketing, Finance
Who you are
- Proven experience bringing new products to markets as a Product Owner
- User centric attitude, only accepting the best possible UX
- Skilled at defining and prioritizing product features.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills, inquisitive mentality and excellent level of
- Proven experience displaying decision making skills, with the ability to assess business
impact, risks and opportunity.
- Competitive and analysis experience.
- Honed strategy planning ability.
- Demonstrable leadership skills without line management authority and strong sense of
- Comfortable dealing with stakeholders of varied seniority, from both commercial and
technical sides of the organization.
- Certified Product Owner
- Experience in an iGaming role working within product development
- Experience in working in a B2B environment.
- Experience using Jira & Confluence and Microsoft Excel / Word / PowerPoint
- Understanding of Scrum / Kanban Agile Methodologies
- Ability to Wireframe
Start date: As soon as possible really. Let’s talk about it.
Last application date: We’ll hire as soon as we find a match, apply now.
Location: You are based in Malta.
As a diverse and inclusive employer, GIG encourages applications from all sections of the
What we Offer
We GiGsters play hard, but we work even harder. We take personal responsibility for our deliverables every day, and we’re killing it. We work as one GiG, from teams to individuals, to make iGaming fair and fun for all. Each GiGster, no matter what their role, is empowered to be disruptive. And we are agile enough to make it happen. We are front-runners and deliver the best. Always. No compromises.