Art Director - Games Studio
This is a highly challenging opportunity to a drive and grow a talented creative team at a game studio that is setting out to redefine the standards of online real money gaming. This will be a hands on role – you will be comfortable striving to mentor, retain, and develop top art talent in the industry, and to perfect the studio’s art production processes, while still actively producing artwork yourself.
You will be commercially aware, highly organised, a planner and a motivator, but fundamentally also a talented and experienced creative yourself. You will be an expert in design and art fundamentals, and possess excellent command of design fundamentals including colour and shape theory, perspective, visual storytelling, effective layout, and designing for all device types. You will have demonstrable experience in building and refining a game art production pipeline from concept to production, and understand how to deliver high quality output in the most time and resource efficient manner. You will have a strong awareness of all aspects of art production including environment and character concept, animation techniques, 2D and 3D asset creation, visual effects, UI and graphic design. You will be familiar with best practise techniques to ensure that all assets are delivered to the game programmers in the most efficient form possible, taking into account the need to minimise both file size and processing load.
Reporting to the Head of Product, you will plan, structure and organize the art team, to ensure that project and studio needs are met. You will work with product owners, project managers and developers on a daily basis. You will also liaise with external contractors and third party games development partners. You will play an important role in creating and maintaining a vibrant and innovative creative culture, and in helping guide the art team on a path of continual growth and improvement. You will enable each artist to play to their strengths while also helping them to become more rounded professionals. Your goal should be to help your artists to develop to a level where they could work anywhere else, but to give them the opportunities and satisfaction that they would never want to.
What you'll be doing:
- Support and deliver the creative vision of the studio.
- Cultivate and retain top tier artists, to help grow our existing team.
- Participate in the recruitment process for artists along with our central Talent Acquisition team.
- Review portfolios, conduct phone screens and join in-house interviews to help identify strong candidates.
- Provide career development and growth opportunities for artists. Provide mentoring and leverage specialists within the team to develop technical and creative skills.
- Manage individual and team performance in a way that encourages innovation and creativity, while establishing and codifying best practice and process.
- Encourage responsibility and accountability within the team.
- Create, develop, and support new leaders.
- Undertake planning to ensure the most efficient deployment of art resources, collaborating closely with the product team to ensure project needs are being met.
- Ensure that the art direction and priorities set by project leadership is reflected in the scheduling, resource allocation, execution, and conduct of the art team as a whole.
- Collaborate with the Head of Product, other senior managers, game developers, and other studio leaders to ensure a consistent, transparent and effective production process across all disciplines.
- Contribute to studio planning around personnel issues, headcount planning, studio culture and other needs as required.
- Represent the art function at the project level. Ensure that appropriate communication flows freely, such that the team feels heard, represented, and generally in the loop. Escalate and resolve art team needs, issues, and concerns in a responsive, effective, and visible manner
- Act decisively to remove roadblocks and smooth out interdisciplinary issues.
- Maintain an inspiring and mindful creative culture, where experimentation, feedback and iteration are encouraged.
- Foster knowledge sharing and creative exercises.
- Drive the art team to keep abreast of best practice, standards and conventions in the industry
Who you are:
- 8+ years of professional art production experience.
- 5+ years of game or rich media industry experience.
- 2+ years of experience in a leadership role.
- Internal development team experience is a must-have, experience managing outsourced suppliers is a bonus.
- Experience in iGaming, social, web or mobile game development is preferred
What we offer:
We GiGsters play hard, but we work even harder. We take personal responsibility for our deliverables every day, and we’re killing it. We work as one GiG, from teams to individuals, to make iGaming fair and fun for all. Each GiGster, no matter what their role, is empowered to be disruptive. And we are agile enough to make it happen. We are front-runners and deliver the best, always, no compromises.
What we Offer
We GiGsters play hard, but we work even harder. We take personal responsibility for our deliverables every day, and we’re killing it. We work as one GiG, from teams to individuals, to make iGaming fair and fun for all. Each GiGster, no matter what their role, is empowered to be disruptive. And we are agile enough to make it happen. We are front-runners and deliver the best. Always. No compromises.