Summary: Answer the question “Tell me about yourself” like you are someone famous being interviewed with these ten tips.
Do you ever feel like you are being put under a bright spotlight with a video camera and microphone shoved in your face when an interviewer asks you the question, “Tell me about yourself?” Being asked to brag about yourself is uncomfortable and difficult because it is sometimes hard to know what you excel at unless someone tells you.
You can expect to be asked this question at some point during the interview so prepare now to that make that interview question come off as if you are a famous person that has answered the question a million times before. The interviewer is most interested in the confidence, passion, and enthusiasm in your answer. Answer quickly to demonstrate your self-esteem and self-awareness.
– “I can summarize myself in three words…”
– “The quote I live by is…”
– “My personal philosophy is…”
– “People who know me best say that I’m…”
– “My passion is…”
– “Can I show you, instead of tell you?”
– “Well, I googled myself this morning and here is what I found.”
– “When I was a child, I always wanted to be…”
– “The compliment people give me most often is…”
– “If Hollywood made a movie about my life, it would be called…”
These questions are just the beginning to what you will say to them to describe yourself. The key is thinking about what kind of answer will be relevant yet interesting and honest. You want the interviewer to think, “Wow! That was the best answer I have heard all day.” Taking on the question like this may be unorthodox and risky but that is why it works.
This question will also be asked at networking events so there is more than one reason to prepare for this question.
Learn more about being prepared for an interview by reading these articles:
- End An Interview On a Good Note With This Question
- Beat the Greatest Interview Fear With Little Effort
- Be Interview Ready in 30 Minutes
Photo: wikimedia.commons.orgTell Interviewers about Yourself Like You Are a Pro by Amanda Griffin